The Bimah (a podium in the synagogue from which Torah is read) of the Old Synagogue of Tarnow, Poland is all that remains of a brick synagogue built in 1661 and burned down by Nazis on 9th of November 1939.
The original structure, most likely made of wood, was vulnerable to fire. Frequent conflagration urged the Jewish society to replace existing construction with a brick building. The remained Bimah is composed of four pillars carrying square block. The ceiling was covered with stucco. Small pieces of the decoration are still […]