The synagogue is a rare surviving example of the four-pillar, vaulted synagogues that were built throughout the Polish lands in both wood and masonry from the sixteenth through the early nineteenth centuries.
The synagogue is one of the precious monuments of sacred art. It was erected in 1761 to replace a wooden synagogue, which had been destroyed by a fire. Synagogue interior is richly ornamented with polychrome and stucco works. In the mid-20th century, the building was carefully renovated and underwent renovations in the years 1983-1990.