The Maisel Synagogue in Prague, Czech Republic was built in Renaissance style between 1590 and 1592. Mordechai Maisel, the leader of Prague Jewish community and the richest Prague citizen in the 16th century donated many valuable ritual objects for it. It was the first Prague synagogue accessible to women. Built on 20 pillars, it was a large and imposing building.
Maisel Synagogue burned down in 1689 and it was rebuilt as a smaller building in Baroque manner. The present neo-Gothic style of the synagogue is from the end of the 19th century.
During the World War II., Nazis stored works of art from other synagogues in the Maisel Synagogue. They planned to make it an anti-Jewish museum. At the present time, there is an exhibition of the Jewish Museum in Prague, called “History of Jews in Bohemia and Moravia from the 10th to the 18th century.”
Source: GO Kosher Travel via Bentzi Sasson