I created this Gluten Free recipe for the Egg class I gave over Passover in Puerto Rico.
Shakshuka is a one-skillet recipe of eggs baked in a tomato-red pepper sauce spiced with cumin, paprika and cayenne. First you make the sauce, which comes together fairly quickly on top of the stove, then you gently crack each of the eggs into the pan, nestling them into the sauce. The pan is moved into the oven to finish.
ChefChaya ShakShuka ????
• 3 Tbs olive oil
• 1 Large Onion peeled and diced
• 4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
• 1 medium green or red bell pepper, chopped
• 4 cups ripe diced tomatoes, or 2 cans (14 oz. each) diced tomatoes
• 2 Tbsp tomato paste
• 1 Tsp chili powder (mild)
• 1 Tsp cumin
• 1 Tsp sweet paprika
• 2 Tbsp Sugar
• Pinch of cayenne pepper (or more to taste– spicy!)
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 5-6 eggs
• 1/2 Tbsp fresh chopped cilantro (optional, for garnish)
• Goat Cheese Or Feta
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and bell pepper. Cook gently until very soft, about 20 minutes. Add garlic and cook until tender, 1 to 2 minutes; stir in cumin, chili, sugar, paprika and cayenne, and cook 1 minute. Pour in tomatoes and paste and season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; simmer until tomatoes have thickened, about 10 minutes. (Stir in crumbled feta or goat cheese ) Gently crack eggs into skillet over tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer skillet to oven and bake until eggs are just set, 7 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with hot sauce.